Thirteen Things About My Name....
1. My name is really Dulcinea
2. It is latin, for sweetness.
3. It is pronounced dul-sih-nay-uh. Not Dool-sin-ee-uh. If you are spanish speaking,you'll say it with the dool. I'm not, so it is dul or dull, which I am hardly that.
4. It has never been ranked on any popular list. Which is fine, being popular is overrated.
5. It is from the novel "Don Quixote." A novel about a knight, who has a dream girl, and even though she is a really just a peasant, street walker, (Aldonza is her name)whatever, who sees her as his princess. (Dulcinea)
"For me, in the same way, it's enough to think and believe that your good Aldonza Lorenzo is beautiful and modest, and her ancestry doesn't make much difference either, because no one's going to come searching out her pedigree, in order to confer any titles on her, while as far as I'm concerned she's the loftiest princess in the whole world. . . . And so, to sum it all up, I perceive everything I say as absolutely true, and deficient in nothing whatever,and paint it all in my mind exactly as I want it to be, whether as to beauty or to nobility, so that Helen of Troy can't match her, and Lucretia can't come close, nor can any famous women in all history, whether Greek, Barbarian or Roman."
6. It was written in 1614. Good thing I like history.
7. My parents went to the play, Man of la Mancha, and yeah a few months later, that was my name.
8. The only other Dulcinea I have ever met, went to my school. Of all the odds.
9. I go by Nea, though, because it is always mispronounced, and much easier for kids to say.
10. There is a song called..... Dulcinea. Here's some of the lyrics. (to sum it up, I'm every guy's dream girl. I'll take it.)
" Dulcinea, Dulcinea
I see heaven when I see thee, Dulcinea
or this one. (from the same play)
" To each his Dulcinea
That he alone can name...
To each a secret hiding place
Where he can find the haunting face
To light his secret flame.
For with his Dulcinea Beside him so to stand,
A man can do quite anything...."
11. I once got called "Dog-a-nea."
12. Toad the Wet Sprocket named their album Dulcinea
13. You just learned more than you ever wanted about that name. There will be a quiz later.