Thursday, September 11, 2008

9/11




I was working in a day care center, in Ohio on September 11th, 2001. We had just finished diaper changes, and I was getting down tubs of toys and putting them on the floor when the director walked in. She was doing a count, and said, "They just said on the radio that a plane hit the World Trade Center." At first, I was kind of confused. I thought perhaps it was a small commuter plane, someone learning to fly, etc. She told us we could turn on the TV for a minute.

I had just turned it on, said something to the other girl I was working with, and turned back around in time to see the 2nd plane hit. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. We watched for a little bit more, then turned the TV off. We were in the 12-18 month room, but still, we needed to care for the kids, even though our minds were very much elsewhere. We had the radio on, and then hear about the Pentagon. The day became surreal. Parents came back and picked up kids, others came and sat and held their kids and just watched. Or talked. Oldielocks was in there with me. She was a source of comfort. If something bad was going on in the nation, the world, I'm glad that, at that moment, she was right there by me. I could see her, and just know she was safe.

That's where I was on September 11th. Every American knows where they were that day. My heart breaks for the people, the families, the kids, and our country, always, and especially on this day.

No comments: